Sunday, June 24, 2007

I'm a little late (and maybe a little sappy?)

For all of those who've been discriminated against
Who have been bullied or teased by other kids
Who have to go to a different jurisdiction to marry the love of their life
Who have to keep their family and romantic life secret
Who are whispered about and speculated upon
Who are denied access to health care and deprived of legal decisionmaking for their partner
Who have been told they are going to hell
Who have been rejected by their or their partner's relatives or friends
Who have been stereotyped
Who have been the victim of violence and/or emotional abuse
Who have to adopt their own kids
Who've lost a job or an apartment or a church or a friend
Just because of who they are...

I'm sorry.
And I'm proud to be on your side.

Happy Gay Pride Weekend.

(Thanks to
Ted for the reminder.)

14 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh, man, I forgot too ... I agree with your sappiness, though!

Molly said...

Thank you. With all the government-sanctioned homophobia I read about (admittedly by choice) on a daily basis, it's always a breath of fresh air to hear from a straight ally. We'll keep fightin' the good fight, eh? (Well, OK, not me, I'm going to Canada. But good luck with the place!)

Katie K said...

Nicely put.

The annual Gay Rights Parade went forth here in NYC today, so you're not late at all.

Carol said...

Nicely said.

Sincerely,

Proud to be an ally.

Anonymous said...

I second that emotion!

Mel said...

Thank you, dear.

David just told his father about our wedding plans Friday night. The news was not well-received. On Saturday, though, he got a belated birthday present from my folks in the mail. I couldn't imagine if both families were hostile towards our relationship.

Knitty Delicious said...

Hi Carol baby...miss you too...
it's fun to connect via cyberworld.
Beagles send howls and licks...
Love
Knitty D

mindy said...

Very well said.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put. I forgot about it too, shame on me! I'm another ally in NY.

Cinderellen said...

Sappy it may be, but Thank You. My sweetheart have been together for 17 years now. I think we're pretty conventional, but apparently some part of the world thinks we're a threat. sigh.

Carol said...

Mel, I would be doing handsprings of joy if any of my kids marry someone like you. Smart, kind, generous, creative ... not to mention free health care for our bun-bun. ;)

the hanged man said...

Carol - Amen!

Hope everyone else had a good Pride day.

Franklin said...

Late? Not a bit, darling. Pride is a season, really - celebrated on different days in different places. Thank you ever so, and I loves you, too.

AuntieAnn said...

Beautifully put. On Sunday I got to march down the middle of Market Street in SF, with my DH and DD, and with my brother and his husband, who were grand marshals of the whole shebang. Two of many grand marshals, but still. The immediate families of both of them were all there (at least in spirit, and most of us in body, too). It was a very Proud day.