Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fall Book Preview

Earlier this week, it was ninety-five degrees and as humid as an armpit in my neck of the woods, but the weather has, thankfully, turned more comfortable, with just the tiniest hint of fall in the air. So let's dream longingly of cooler seasons as we take a quick peek at some of the books to be published this fall.

New Offerings from Old Favorites

Kaffe Fassett (say "Kafe FASS-itt" -- NOT "coffee faucet") releases Kaffe Knits Again: 24 Original Designs Updated for Today's Knitters (Potter Craft; due early October), in which he revisits some of his most popular patterns, updating them in current yarns. (He'll be signing books at Stitches, I believe.) Kaffe also has a new quilting book out in October, Kaffe Fassett's Quilts in the Sun: 20 Designs from Rowan for Patchwork and Quilting, which also features designs from elite quilting designers such as Liza Prior Lucy. (If you've ever toyed with the idea of quilting, go to Liza's website and take a peek at her gorgeous fabrics...)

Another designer who frequently designs patterns for Rowan is the prolific and talented Martin Storey. Knitting for Him: 27 Classic Projects to Keep Him Warm (Taunton; expected release September 25) aims to provide more options for knitting for the guys in your life, with that classic Rowan sense of style. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this book contains new designs rather than a repeat of garments that have previously appeared in other Rowan publications sinceI like Martin Storey's designs a lot and probably already have most of his previously-published designs for Rowan.

Rowan alum Louisa Harding -- who has been designing her own yarns and pattern booklets, too -- has written a book full of small projects called Knitting Little Luxuries: Beautiful Accessories to Knit (Interweave Press; early November). This book promises quick projects for accessories and other items that require a minimum amount of yarn.

Fiona Ellis, who released an interesting book on cables last year, follows up with Inspired Fair Isle Knits: 20 Creative Designs Inspired by the Elements (PotterCraft; early October). The book description sounds intriguing:

Using unconventional placement of Fair Isle patterning, such as at the cuff or shoulder, and asymmetrical or striped color placement, Ellis creates a wide
variety of moods, movements, and graphic impact. And Inspired Fair Isle Knits isn’t just about Fair Isle knitting; it combines the basic method with other knitting techniques such as cables, lace patterning, felting, and even pleats.


And my longtime favorite Debbie Bliss just released another book of baby knits, called Essential Baby: Over 20 Handknits to Take Your Baby from First Days to First Steps (Trafalgar Square; already available). I'll probably pass on this one, since I've got tons of baby patterns and my kids are getting too big for this size range, although I'm sure it's lovely, as Debbie Bliss's books always are.

Interweave Press

In addition to Louisa Harding's new book, our friends at Interweave -- always a source of excellent knitting and crochet books -- have just released The Best of Interweave Knits: Our Favorite Designs from the First Ten Years. As you may have guessed, it's a compilation of the best-loved patterns from past ten years of Interweave Knits magazines. If you've got all your back issues, then you may not want to spring for it, but if you're like me and your magazines get all dog-eared, it might be nice to have a beautifully-bound book version of the best of the best. This one is already on sale at some places and should be at your local yarn shop or bookstore soon, if it isn't already.

Kim Werker -- new editor of Interweave Crochet -- has written Crochet Me: Designs to Fuel the Crochet Revolution (expected October 28). I met Kim at a booksigning last year and although I found it hard to believe she's only been crocheting a few years, she is so cute and nice that I found it easy to get over my hook envy. (Plus she's pals with Shannon Okey, who's always fun to hang with.)

Bag Style: Innovative to Traditional, 22 Inspirational Handbags, Totes, and Carry-alls to Knit and Crochet, edited by Pam Allen, is the next installment in Interweave's beloved Style series, and Folk Style: Innovative Designs to Knit, Including Sweaters, Hats, Scarves, Gloves and More came out a few weeks ago, edited by color-savvy Mags Kandis (the owner and founder of Mission Falls yarns).

All Toilet-Paper Cozies, All the Time

On the (ahem)more eclectic side, a book devoted entirely to toilet paper roll cozies is slated for release this fall, Toilet Roll Covers, along with a prequel (?) Tea Cozies.

I Guess You Can't Trademark Titles

You might think that Interweave's super-strong "Fill in the Blank" Style series -- e.g. Lace Style, Scarf Style, Bag Style -- would have put the kibosh on another publisher starting a knitting/crochet series with Style in the title. However, Martingale is releasing "Stitch Style, Mittens" and "Stitch Style, Socks". Each is a compilation of knit and crochet designs having to do with mittens and socks, respectively. I'll leave it to you to debate whether that is a blatant attempt to trade off the popularity of Interweave's series or simply a coincidence.

In addition

you'll find the following titles, fellow knitting-book lovers:


I'm sure there are some more titles that I missed, but this will give you a flavor for some of this fall's offerings. We live in good times for knitters: the fact that there are a lot of new knitting books coming out on a such a regular basis is a great sign for the continuing vitality of the craft.



19 comments:

Stacey said...

that is a lot coming on the horizon this fall! my library card is going to be busy!!!

Anonymous said...

You said the codeword!

You generally can't register or assert trademark rights in one-off book titles. Magazine titles, and book series titles featuring a common element, may be registrable. Hypothetically speaking, if all other roadblocks in Deb Stoller's way magically disappeared, she would be able to get a registration for STITCH 'N BITCH (did I punctuate that correctly?) because it was an element in the title in a number of books.

By that logic, it *might* be possible for Interweave to have some kind of trademark rights in a STYLE title since they have a series... but that's not the only issue to consider, since there are other aspects like whether the STYLE part is notionally separable and creates a separate commercial impression, and the concurrent use of STYLE by other publications. If Interweave did try to defend its title theme against others, it would be interesting to see what would happen.

Okay, I'm done.

Carol said...

I always get stuck on the "likelihood of confusion" element. To me, there does seem to be a plausible claim for likely confusion. Especially given my experience as a yarn shop employee. You see LOTS of confusion when you work retail...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the roundup - I'm sure you mean to say that "Tea Cozies" was a pee-quel ;) (I'm sorry - I feel someone had to mention that). Personally, ever since I saw the online Bag Style preview, I've been jonesing to knit that cover bag!

Anonymous said...

"On the (ahem) more eclectic side, a book devoted entirely to toilet paper roll cozies is slated for release this fall, Toilet Roll Covers, along with a prequel (?) Tea Cozies."

holy shit - spare me, sweet jeebers! this might belong in the MOKS from stitchy mcyarnpants!

enjoy your visit with joe this weekend (color me green with envy).

bellamoden said...

Man, so many goooood books to come! Exciting times we live in, indeed.

But the toilet paper cozies.... ummkay.

Cheryl, the jungian Knitter said...

I see the Kaffe Fasset book and like Pavlov's knitter, follow the link to Amazon. But will I ever actually knit another of his sweaters? I did one -- a mammoth coat of many colors and it took me two years to complete.

Bridget said...

I will certainly try the toilet roll cover book, as soon as I finish knitting my Che Guevera Knitting Icon ...

Oh, also - I had no idea that Marilyn was one of Candace Eisner Strick's test knitters - HA! (I tried to think of someone I knew you didn't like, but couldn't. So I went for someone who I know is a friend ...)

Carol said...

Indeed these are great times for knitters!

Carol said...

Sigh. Kaffe. Love him. Too bad I can't see him at Stitches but will definitely get the book.

M-H said...

But has Kaffe updated the styling of his designs or are they still unfitted and drop-shouldered? No-one seems to know, as no-one has actually seen the pages of the book. BTW, Brandon told us at a class to remember the pronunciation of Kaffe's name thus: You've got a safe asset with a Kaffe Fassett.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for that marvelous list!

With apologies to Kaffe, I must say, I'd give my eyeteeth for a coffee faucet. Install that puppy right next to my credenza, thanks.

Ann said...

mmm, a coffee faucet ...

I love the scarf on the cover of the Fiona Ellis book. I'm dying to see the rest of the book ...

Carol said...

Some days, I could just use a coffee IV. More portable.

I will say that I am not sure I will ever get around to making a Kaffe garment but I love his books for the eye candy and inspiration, the colors, seeing where his ideas come from, and that sort of thing.

mindy said...

There goes my book budget...

Carol said...

I've made one Kaffe garment. Actually my first sweater! 20 years later, a second is languishing in a bag, mocking me.

Coffee Faucet - sounds even better than my Saeco.

Patricia said...

Another book on knitting and color is Kristin Nicholas book. I'm not sure if it will be published in Sept. Nov. or Dec.

Lots of books, goody goody!

Patty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling us about these great books. There are several that I would like to check out in person. The tp cozy book makes me think of my great grandma. If she were still alive, I would have made these for her. My great grandma was something else.

Anonymous said...

Carol,

Does this mean you are not coming to Stitches????

Linda