Friday, December 18, 2009

A detour

I'm taking an unexpected trip up to the Dub, Dub, Dubya-Bee (W-B) to visit my dad, who was admitted to the hospital this week. The doctors are in the middle of diagnostic tests to try to determine what's going on. From what I can gather, the range of possibilities goes from the low-key (a benign cyst) to the dire ("the big C", as my poor mother insists on calling it; like the name of that Harry Potter character -- or a certain litigious designer -- my mom believes that to utter the very word is to invite trouble). You may recall that I have a rather uneasy relationship with my dad and my family isn't terribly good at dealing with unpleasant realities, so all bets are off about how the weekend will go. If you've got any good thoughts to spare, I'd appreciate them. When I return, I'll have a shop update and the premiere of my first BBF pattern.

18 comments:

subliminalrabbit said...

oh dear - we'll be thinking of you. sending good thoughts your way!

Elizabeth D said...

Carol, sending lots of good thoughts in your general direction. Got any good stockinette to knit? Fast and furious can be very therapeutic.

--Elizabeth D

Clare B said...

I always try to remember to count to 5 before saying anything inflammatory around my mum - doesn't always work but it has eased the tension a little bit. And try not to sweat the small stuff. Easier said than done though - good luck.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you- hang in there. Lots of coffee and chocolate- and wine as soon as afternoon hits.

Hugs.

anne marie in philly said...

oh F! hope your dad gets a good report from the doctors.

ccr in MA said...

Oh, my, certainly thinking of you. Best wishes...?

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry to hear (read) this. Like EZ said, knit on through all crises. xo Allison

Lisa said...

Sending you tons of positive mojo and extra patience!

Anonymous said...

Sending cyber good wishes - don't let things get ya down! You are a wonderful soul and wonderful fiber artist - even though I haven't bought anything in a loooooong time :| Take care - knittinnow/Terry

Sarah said...

Definitely good thoughts.

toni in florida said...

Hope everything turns out well. Dealing with family can be difficult when there is no crisis, much less at a time like this. I'll be thinking of you.

Kathleen Dames said...

Oh, I hope things go as well as they can, Carol. Looking forward to the pattern.

Phro5gg said...

"The big C" sounds like the name of some rapper.

Families are always an interesting kettle of fish. I will say a prayer for you and yours as you go through this.

Fredda said...

Thinking good thoughts...

JelliDonut said...

I hope things turn out O.K.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts aplenty heading your way. If my experience is anything to go by, you'll need them all, and then some.

Take blindingly easy knitting. Much easier to bite your tongue when knitting is at hand.

Barb B. said...

Sending postive vibes your way. Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about this. Throw in family tensions, and these things that tend to be hard enough, just get that much harder. Wishing you grace, strength and patience at this time.

Once again, a wonderful book review and links from you. Thanks so much for the Rowan review.

All the best.
- Beth