Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Slow start...

My grandmother used to say that bad things come in threes. (She also used to say that deaths came in threes, which was really irritating, because there's nothing like getting all sniffly that Uncle Wladislaw died, only to be told by a dire old lady in a black cardigan that two more people were on their way soon.) Last night, as we got ready to pack for a week at the beach, a certain child of mine (cough, Elvis, cough) left the hatch of the car open after he brought stuff in from the back. Even though his mother said, "Did you close up the car?" It wasn't until after the downpour when I went to put stuff in the car that I noticed it had rained in the hatchback for close to two hours.

That's one.

We woke up to more rain this morning -- sheets of rain.

That's two.

When I went to put stuff in the other car a little while ago, I could not help but notice that it had a flat tire.

That's three.

I consider us highly fortunate to have gotten all three bad things out of the way before we hit the road.

And if we'd gotten out the door as planned, perhaps I would never have gotten to see this little guy:


I have no doubt that some entomologist-knitter out there will be able to identify this critter. But, um, if it's a termite in waiting, then please wait until after the beach to tell me, because I don't want to start the cycle of three all over again...

9 comments:

Liz K. said...

I don't know what kind of bug it is, but it is not a termite. You'll know you have termites when your windowsills are covered with dismembered little wings in the spring.

Liz K. said...

It's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_webworm

and from what I can tell, the wool is safe.

JelliDonut said...

I don't know what it is, but if it was a yarn color way, I'd buy it. LOL!

The car door things sounds exactly like something that would happen at my house. I've learned not to bother asking silly questions--it's way simpler just to check things myself. :Sigh:

Have a great time at the beach!

Mel said...

Although I can't see all of it well enough, my first guess would be a moth of some sort with wings folded and antennae held down.

Ali P said...

I worked my Google-fu and came up with the identification.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2007/10/31/ailanthus-webworm-moth-11/

There's the link to the ID and info for the Ailanthus Webworm Moth.

Bridget said...

I don't know what type of bug it is, but I sure wish I would have seen him - I'd take him in to work and find out. Plus he would be perfect for Bug Fest!

soknitpicky said...

Glad you got them out of the way. Enjoy the vacay.

StephCat said...

at least it's a pretty bug.

Bridget said...

I just asked one of the entomologists at work, who said that Ailanthus webworm moths are not dangerous, and that he likely got into the house by mistake, since they are not house pests.

Apparently the adults only live about a month or so.

(He did say it looked like an excellent specimen.)